Wednesday, March 17, 2004

today the world sucks

I'm feeling rather desperate today. Actually, I've been feeling like the world is a pretty shit place to be at the moment. I seem to find myself aware of more and more injustice in the world and no way of making a difference. I am frustrated, angry, scared, depressed and just plain deflated.

The Chancellor of the Exchequer passed the budget today and of course everyone who has a keyboard or a mobile is moaning about it. The government are lying about low unemployment!! They cry. 1p extra on a pint of beer!! They howl. Please, who gives a shit? If you got off your arse you may see that the unemployment figures might just be correct. If you cared less about how much a pint of beer and a packet of fags is going to set you back a week and more about the fact that 6000 people are dying of AIDS in Africa a week something may change. But nothing does.

I started reading The Secret Country by John Pilger last weekend. I had to stop after 3 chapters for I was faced again by the inhuman injustice metered out by white Australia towards her indiginous people over the 2 and a bit centuries since Cook landed. Did you know that if white Australians died in police custody at the same rate that black Australians did 8,000 people would be found dead in their cells each year? That was one of the less harrowing truths John Pilger brought to light in his book. I read this week here that Mr Pilger should apologise for commenting on national telly in Australia that American, Australian and British troups are illegally occupying a country. Tosh as my British friends say. Bullshit in other words. He is speaking the truth. The war in Iraq was illegal, immoral and insane. Why in Australia today should an Australian not be able to speak his mind? And if I read right, it is not only his own mind he speaks.

I guess I just don't know what to do to make a difference. Do I give more to Oxfam? Do I give up my well paid job and find a cause to fight for? These are not rhetorical questions by the way. I really don't know what to do anymore.

Reading: The Ruby in the Smoke, Philip Pullman
Listening to: Nothing at present as the silence is nice...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home