Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Illuminated moments

One thing I've noticed is that I don't seem to have very many illuminated moments these days. You know, the moment when you look up from the mundanity of your everyday life and see the setting sun dance on the water like a million faeries going home after a day of magic.

Or when you realise you are actually a better person that you've been telling yourself you are. Or that the awful thing you have been thinking about someone else is wrong and you need to change and you can.

Lots of changes are about to hit us over the next few months and I feel I am being shaken awake. Being in Australia for 5 weeks has opened my head up to just how much my life has closed down in many ways. I am not saying England is a bad place or that it has been bad to me. Far from it. However, life here is limiting for us. Limiting for me. And it was not until I had been in Melbourne for a few days looking at the big sky and actually seeing the sun overhead that I realised I needed to be there. I needed the warmth on my skin, the vibrance of my people thrumming in my veins again and possibilities I had let myself forget reignite my soul.

Listening to: The Dogs Bollocks, a compilation of the best song on every album I own. Courtesy of Tim the iPod.
Reading: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, Susanna Clarke

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you are making me homesick? Though I do have to admit that the weather here in Seattle has been glorious, and when it isn't I just have to hit the tanning booths to feel the sunlight on my face, as artificial as it may be?
Don't you think that the hecticness of life works hard at preventing moments of illumination? The closest I have come to those moments is managing to 'get' an Algebra expression, which is what I am currently studying?

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home