Monday, February 28, 2005

Snowflakes that fall on my nose and eyelashes...

Its been snowing across the UK for the last week or so and I have to confess I've loved it. I love the crispness of the landscape after it snows and the seeming stillness that pervades the air in the wake of a proper covering.

Last Friday I took my rather huge golf umbrella with me (suitably corporatised by my company's logo for I work in marketing now so this is one of the perks...). However, given the nature of this particular snow fall it was of absolutely no fecking use. The snow just seemed to swirl wildly around my lower limbs, clung to my coat with some of it even making up into my face. So I ditched the brolly pronto and tried to avoid inhaling rogue snowflakes.

This morning as I was leaving the house (late again as I stayed to watch what is fast becoming our favorite TV sitcom, Everybody Loves Raymond because Channel 4 are airing it at the positively absurd time of 8.00 am!) I was faced with a veritable snow storm! OK, it was not as bad as that but as I pondered out loud whether to take my brolly with me, Ian gave me one of those looks that implied I would be rather soft* to do so. So given it had only just started snowing and it looked fairly innocuous, I left without said brolly.

Needless to say that by the time I got to the bus stop the snow was falling faster and fatter and by the time the bus got to town I was too scared to get off it. It was like walking into one of those The Price is Right games where squealing housewives scrabble for the money that is fluttering around with copious amounts of polystyrene filler. I was covered in the stuff and although it looked amazing, as soon as I entered our overheated building it melted, as snow is want to do. I was not a happy bunny.

And now I have to now trek out into what looks like sleet to meet Ian and my mother in law for lunch right across town.

What was Julie Andrews thinking?!

Listening to: My Dancing Bollocks playlist courtesy of Tim the iPod.
Reading: Dragonfly in Amber, Diana Gabaldon (yes, again!)

*Soft being a Northern term for anyone who can not endure a winter without heating, or who someone who can not walk in Manchester's infamous mizzle sans umbrella or down 10 pints of bitter, 2 kebabs and a curry and get themselves home without getting arrested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home